• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I smell ammonia

poopie

Bluelighter
So, after a lot of physical exertion, all I can smell is ammonia. This has been going on since I was little kid. I know it means I'm burning ketones. So, I take that to mean I'm taking in too much protein.

Is this actually that unhealthy?

I read that I should try eating an apple or something before activity for some carbohydrate fuel.

Does this happen to anyone else?

It's not so much that you're getting too much protein (although that may well be the case), but rather that you're not getting enough carbs. Fruit is a great way to get a sugar hit, but it might be an idea to throw some slow-burning carbs in there too. I'm personally fond of steel-cut oats at breakfast; they're hearty, fibrous, and give a nice and steady release of carbs that lasts for a good chunk of the day. Fruit is icing on the cake.

I've only ever had ketosis when ill, and once when I was trying to cut. It's been an age since I've done biochem, but IIRC it places a lot more stress on the liver and kidneys than the non-ketosis energy cycle, and the brain needs carbs as an energy source. I found it harder to think properly (i.e. I was sluggish, irritable, and generally slow) in that state. Never got so far as to be able to smell ammonia though.

i get times of tasting tin or steel or chemicals in my mouth mostly on the side, like anesthesia from former surgeries, i hate the idea that it's in my head i wonder still what it is